.

.

Monday 23 March 2015

Homesickness...AKA All Day Breakfasts!

Sitting alone listening to Dina Carroll’s ‘Don’t Be A Stranger’ with a fridge full of things I can’t read, I suddenly realise how far away I am from home. It’s a funny thing, distance. Sometimes I feel so close, what with skype and the wonders of social media. But on this particular night, with a sore throat and no proper medicine to my name, I reminisce about the times when I could have just popped down to Tesco’s and picked up an All Day Breakfast in a sandwich and some strepsils. It’s hard, this homesick feeling. Harder than I thought it would be.

Please note: this sandwich is NOT from Tesco but it does look delicious!

It’s been 4 weeks since I left and this is the first time that I have felt like something is missing. The excitement of living in a different country is something that has not left me and I’m having a great time here. So this is in no way a pitiful post to try and draw attention to myself and gain some sympathy, but it is something that I think should be addressed. To anyone that is thinking of relocating and giving up on everything familiar; be prepared - you will experience a degree of homesickness at some point and it is difficult, that I now know to be true.

Maybe it is because I’m ill, or maybe (most likely) it’s because I saw my best friend at the weekend for the first time in over a year. This definitely reminded me of my family and friends back home and how important they all are to me. I think of them at work on a Monday lunch time after a long morning of delayed trains and stressful situations and I actually miss it. I miss the familiar sights and sounds, and also the convenience of knowing exactly what to do in every situation. I miss these people and the ease of being able to ring anyone of them up, and grab a cheeky pint down the pub after work. But most of all, I miss the recognition on peoples faces when you mention Britney, Jenny from the block, Mariah or I dunno, Gary fricking Barlow. How is it possible that South Korean's don't know who these people are. It makes playing the ‘post it’ note game next to impossible. Thank god for 'Frozen' that’s all I can say.


 
Seriously, she's a global pop phenomenon people!

Anyway, there are a couple of ways in which you can deal with this, that do not involve staying up late and listening to every Burt Bacharach song that has ever existed. Awkward. Firstly, stay in touch with everyone. Like I said, skype is a miracle and genuinely I am this close (insert small hand gesture here) to saying that it is better than the invention of the wheel and chair put together...I don’t mind standing. Secondly, try and find some comforts from home, like bread, cheese or just some normal sized towels (big towels here are literally borrower size). And thirdly, try and arrange a trip so you have something to look forward to. Trust me, these things will be your saviour. 

At the end of the day, always remember that this feeling will pass and yeah, it will probably come back again, but then guess what...it WILL pass. And before you know it, you’ll be having a fantastic time once again. So, my advice to myself and anyone else going through the same thing; just pop on some classic ballads and have a lovely large glass of red wine, and then (after an undisclosed period of time) get over it and continue saying yes to life. You’re only here once, so make the most of it and crack on. I hope that has helped...I certainly feel better. Now where’s the Soju...

No comments:

Post a Comment